Tuesday, December 16, 2008

This amazed me

In geography, we're working on this assignment in which we find information about a job we might want to pursue, where we might want to live in the future, and the average cost it is to live there. At first I found this assignment kind of difficult because I wasn't real sure where I wanted to live or what I wanted to do. Now I've always given thought to becoming an English teacher because that subject has always interested me in school; but I thought for this assignment I'd learn about another job I might want to look in to. Eventually I decided to move to Manhattan, NY and work for the New York Times in New York City. But when I looked up the average salary of an advertising assistant in Manhattan, I found out they only make about $27,000 a year; not that impressive if you ask me.

While scrolling down on this page with the salary, something caught my eye. Under a list of "Related Career Topics" I found: online survey taker. Ok, so for those of you who may not know what that is (and I'm not trying to insult anyone's intelligence here) an online survey taker is paid to take surveys sent to them from companies or organizations wanting feedback or help with whatever it is they sell or provide. Surveys could also be about random things too, though. And people actually get paid to sit at home on their computers just answering questions all day!? I didn't really believe it. I mean, the site (http://www.indeed.com/) said these people make about $168,000 a year; I wasn't buying it.

When I had asked my geography teacher if this could be true, he said absolutely. It just surprised me that someone with a degree in business could make less than a person working on a computer at home all day. Now I'm not sure if these jobs require any real talent, skill, or education, so I'll have to look into that. It's amazing how many jobs are out there you might not know about and how much money they actually make.

Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. Dude, just saying, I found the career for me

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know a few people who work from home and make good money, but most have 4 year college degrees and work at something technical.

    Beware of the 'work at home' scams. Remember, if it sounds too good to be true it probably is!

    http://www.fraud.org/tips/internet/workathome.htm

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's amazing what people can find to do and get paid for doing. Most have college degrees but there's always that one that has a great job without really having to do anything.

    Like that woman Samantha on the travel channel. She gets paid to take vacations and have VIP treatment. All she needs to do is relax and host the television show. Those jobs are once in a lifetime opportunity.

    Looking at careers and places to live is the best thing to do. I know personally it really helped me decide what I wanted to study in college next year because I picked the region of the US where I know I want to live. Then I looked at what interest me and I fell into a career spectrum where many options were there to try and think about. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete